LLU School of Medicine and Ultrasound Interest Group (USIG) will host its 3rd annual UltraFest on Sunday, February 21, 2016.
UltraFest is a free student ultrasound symposium on the various modalities of bedside ultrasound for medical students across California. UltraFest is taught by some of the leading bedside ultrasound physicians of various specialties from LLU and across Southern California. Student from across California will learn bedside ultrasound techniques and applications in small groups through a series of short, 50-minute hands-on sessions.
Dr. Anthony Medak, MD UCSD will be the keynote speaker at the provided lunch.
- Undergrad: California State University, Long Beach.
- Major: Biochemistry. Minor: Biology.
- Med School: University of California, San Francisco
- Residency: Alameda Health System- Highland Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency
- Fellowship: Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine- University of California, San Diego
- Active Emergency Medicine Divisions: Hyperbaric Medicine, and Emergency Ultrasound
Dr. Anthony Medak grew up in the Los Angeles Area, and completed his education throughout Northern and Southern California. Anthony graduated from the UC San Francisco School of Medicine. He then did his residency in Emergency Medicine at Highland Hospital in Oakland, CA. Anthony sought a career in Academic EM, wanting to advance his knowledge in Undersea Medicine as well as expand his skills in the use of point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS). He completed a fellowship in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine at UC San Diego.
Upon completing his fellowship, he became a full-time faculty member of the Department of Emergency Medicine at UCSD. His career interests include Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine, Emergency Ultrasound, and all facets of medical education. Since joining the faculty, he has collaborated with the other members of the Ultrasound Division in continuously improving and expanding the U/S curriculum for the UCSD Emergency Medicine Residency. He is the clerkship director for the Emergency Ultrasound elective rotation for 4th year medical students. In 2014, he and a close colleague in the DEM, Dr. Virag Shah, designed and implemented the first UCSD School of Medicine ultrasound curriculum for first and second year medical students. Drs. Shah and Medak currently Co-Direct the course, and plan to continue to expand the program into the existing third and fourth year medical school curriculum.
Anthony was recognized as “Teacher of the Year” by the EM residents in 2007, and by the Medical Students in 2009, 2011, and 2012. His research interests focus within the areas of Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine as well as Emergency Ultrasound, including innovative ways to include ultrasound in undergraduate and graduate medical education. In addition, Dr. Medak has collaborated on several publications that focus on the use of clinical decision rules to allow for selective chest imaging in trauma patients.
His outside interests include being outdoors (camping, running, diving), a passion for live music, tinkering with his stereo equipment, playing the drums, and adding to his ever-growing record collection.
- Sunday, February 21, 2016. 8:00am-2:00pm.
- Registration starts at 8:00am.
24760 Stewart St, Loma Linda, CA 92354
Parking is free and available adjacent to the Centennial Complex.
– Advanced and Basic Cardiology
– Advanced and Basic OB
– Advanced and Basic Procedures
– Advanced Simulation with the RUSH protocol
– eFast and Abdomen
- 8:00-8:30am – Registration & Breakfast Refreshments
- 8:30-9:00am – Welcome Address
- 9:10 – 10:00am – Module #1
- 10:10 – 11:00am – Module #2
- 11:10 – 12:00pm – Module #3
- 12:10 – 1:00pm – Module #4
- 1:00 – 2:00pm – Lunch (provided) & Keynote Address